kitchen reno: a story about the world’s most expensive dishwasher

It’s pretty clear that, while the sink is in, it is not functioning.  Nor is the dishwasher, since the water is turned off (duh).  You may be surprised that it ever worked in the first place.

Side note: This is literally an original dishwasher. Previous owners of my home were definitely “collectors” (hoarders), so I even have the original owners manual for this gem, dating back to 1968. The proof before our eyes – they don’t make ‘em like they used to!


This is where the un-fun begins.  Let me start by saying that I found the BEST deals on the appliances that we needed.  Until they arrived at our house (apparently dishwashers come in sizes??).

Picture 213

The Home Depot guys weren’t able to install it– lots of excuses. First we had to have the electrical wiring re-done, which wasn’t too big of a deal since the electricians were moving all of the kitchen electrical outlets anyway in preparation for the new backsplash.  Then the new dishwasher wouldn’t fit in its hole. The plumber had to re-do all the pipes behind the sink / dishwasher to make “more room in the hole” – not sure exactly what this entailed.  Then the electrician had to come back to hook something up to something else.  So, 2 Home Depot employees, 2 electricians, and 1 very good plumber later, we finally had a functioning dishwasher.

So, what lesson have we learned this week? I have no idea, except that dishwashers are a pain in the ass, and I’m just complaining that my really-sweet-deal-$400-dishwasher became a $1,400 dishwasher.  But c’est la vie!


Kitchen Reno – Phase 1

So, my kitchen is totally giving yardwork a run for it’s money in the competition to be the worst, most inconvenient, most difficult, and most un-fun part of the renovation.  It isn’t that I don’t LOVE kitchens.  It’s that I HATE not having a kitchen for an extended time period.  You may wonder if all this work is totally necessary.  To that I say, let me refresh your memory: before.  I can’t even work with this.  So, since the “parchment scroll” look is no longer fashionable (never was), we peeled, pulled, pried, scraped, and scratched all of the terrible wallpaper from all surfaces.  Then we worked on the cabinetry, removing the weird upper + lower cabinets from the eating area and re-configuring the lowers into a peninsula / work area.  I would have loved an island, but the room was a little too skinny.  This works better.  Other than the floors & walls of my antique house being slightly wonky, this went on without much of a hitch.

2013 Jan-Feb 010

Obviously not finished, but you can tell where the stuff is being added.

Then my sink delivered.  It sat in the living room floor for about 5 days.  In order to do the final counter top measurements, the sink has to be installed, so the next Saturday my husband thought he’d pop it in.  We were also tired of tripping over it in the middle of the living room floor.

What started out as only a slightly-ambitious DIY project became this:

Picture 217

Holy crap.

So the sink is in, but in order to make it happen, we had to pull out the counter top, which was attached to the back-splash, which was also attached to the upper cabinets and the plaster walls.  Oh well, it was all going anyway.  It just ended up going sooner rather than later.

As you can imagine from this picture, this was a tough day. Without running water, we had resorted to alcohol. And so here we are. More to come…